- Around the world, at least one in three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often the abuser is a member of her own family.
- Every 9 seconds in the USA, a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Nearly one-third of American women (31%) report being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend at some point in their lives.
- Domestic Violence is the leading cause of injury to women in the United States, accounting for more than car accidents, muggings and rapes combined.
- Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
- 40% of girls ages 14-17 report knowing someone their age who has been hit or beaten by a boyfriend.
- Everyday in the USA, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
- In 2000, 1,247 women were killed by an intimate partner.
- Domestic violence happens regardless of socio-economic status, race, ethnicity, age, education, employment status, physical ableness, marital status, or childhood history.
- As many as 324,000 women each year experience intimate partner violence during pregnancy.
- In a national survey of more than 6,000 American families, 50% of the men who frequently assaulted their wives also frequently abused their children.
If you or someone you know is in trouble and in need of help, or just would like someone to talk to, call one of these numbers now:
- Oneida County Domestic Violence (DV) hotline: 315-797-7740
- New York State (NYS) 24-hour DV hotline: 1-800-942-6906
- National Domestic Violence hotline: 1-800-799-7233
- 24-hour Bilingual DV hotline: 1-800-621-HOPE
To locate a DV hotline in your area call:
- 1-800-942-6906 (English)
- 1-800-942-6908 (Spanish)
There is always hope. You are never alone! Take the first step today toward a better tomorrow.
Read the books and share Margaret’s triumph